Sunday, September 14, 2014

Children and Illegal Immigration

      I remember understanding the phrase "illegal immigration" when I was sophomore in high school. My history teacher had our class discuss main policy points of the upcoming 2008 presidential election. The topics our class debated were illegal immigration, abortion, and gay marriage. While my classmates were split fairly evenly on abortion and gay marriage, everyone seemed to agree with allowing illegal immigration. I remember feeling uncomfortable because I disagreed with the idea of people coming illegally into the United States and expecting the same rights as citizens. 
     A problem that has been in the news recently is unaccompanied children illegally crossing the U.S. border and not having legal representation when they are brought to court. A group called Kids In Need of Defense, also known as KIND, is attempting to pair the children with pro bono attorneys who can help in immigration court. The group is striving to gain support from the Obama administration, but so far has been shut down by the House of Representatives. In my opinion, the group attempts to gain sympathy by telling the public that innocent children are being deported back to their respective home countries. My suspicions prove correct because in the last paragraph of the article Wendy Young, president of KIND, states, " 'I wish people would take a deep breath and remember these are children' ". Young fails to realize that the children she is trying to help are still illegal immigrants. I find it heart breaking that these children have traveled great distances, only to be detained at the border. Nonetheless, it is important to remember that what these children are doing is illegal. 
      I disagree with giving illegal immigrants, including children, rights and citizenship. When the DREAM Act in California was signed into law in 2011, I was furious with the government because I have many friends and family members struggling to pay for college. They are all U.S. citizens and yet are all in debt because of the loans they have taken out. Meanwhile, the DREAM Act allows students who are illegal immigrants to "apply for and receive state financial aid at California public and private colleges and private scholarships administered by California public colleges". The fact that an illegal immigrant can receive financial aid instead of a U.S. citizen truly confuses me.
     Conversely,I completely support legal immigration. My great-grandmother and her family immigrated from Yugoslavia, now the country of Croatia, in the early 1900's. My great-great-grandfather had already been living in the United States, legally, for thirteen years before his family was able to join him. During that time, he worked to save money for the proper paperwork and travel expenses for his wife and five children. The entire family became fluent in English and took pride in being Americans. In addition, many of my friends immigrated to the United States with their families after years of saving and preparation. They were also able to become U.S. citizens after living in the States for many years and taking the citizenship test. 
      I am against illegal immigration because it devalues my own family history. My ancestors struggled for many years to legally come to this country and for others to receive similar benefits just because they happen to be illegal is a metaphorical slap to the face.