Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Remembering Women Veterans and Their Children

       
              Veteran's Day is a day to honor the men and women who have served our country. Today is also a day to bring attention to the rates of homelessness among veterans. Many organizations, including US Veteran's Affairs and nonprofits, have helped decrease the number of homeless veterans in the United States. However, the decrease in homelessness does not translate to female veterans. The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development estimates that women are 10% of the homeless veteran population. Experts believe the rate of homeless women veterans is rising because the of the lack of affordable housing and child care. Women are returning to the United States after combat struggle because many federal assistance programs lack the services women, and their children require.  
              Mental health services are also important for homeless female veterans. Issues including Post Traumatic Stress Disorder are common among veterans. Veterans who are mothers need to assimilate back into civilian life while at the same time, take care of children. Politicians need to do more for female homeless veterans and their families because no veteran should be homeless.
             When I was a child in elementary school, I thought Veteran's Day was just a day I did not have to go to school. Now I realize Veteran's Day is a day to remember our servicemen and servicewomen who have served our country. I have a cousin in the U.S. Navy, and both of my grandfathers served in the Army during the Korean War and World War II, respectively. My parents told me they struggled with mental health problems when they returned after their service. I can only imagine what it would be like to be a woman veteran with children and struggling with the same issues as my grandfathers did. I believe it is a disgrace that veterans are coming home from combat with no place to live, no services to help them, and no help with their children.

No comments:

Post a Comment